.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JandP

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Catching up

As those on my j&p list already know, I have been away for a week. Now that I'm back, I hope to post more frequently to this site.

The first web site I checked upon my return was www.antiwar.com/casualties/ As of yesterday, the number of US service men and women killed in Iraq is (updated 8/25: 2,609.) There was another terribly sad military funeral here in Tucson today, a young sailer and only son, killed by an IED. The official number of US wounded is (updated 8/25:19,890), but the casualty site reports that estimates run as high as 48,100. Yet George W. Bush has just done another re-run of his hip-hip-hooray presentation about staying the course.

The casualty site's main page has a quote from G.K. Chesterton at the top:

A man who says that no patriot should attack the war until it is over...is saying no good son should warn his mother of a cliff until she has fallen.

Will somebody please pass the word to the commander in chief?