.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JandP

Sunday, October 15, 2006

In the Sunday news (or not)

This afternoon I decided to click back and forth among a number of TV news and discussion programs over a period of about two hours (admitedly a possible sign of insanity.) Of course there was abundant reporting on the Hawaii earthquake and North Korea, along with the pope's new canonizations. But I found content on Iraq only once. Of course there is nothing at all scientific about this clicking business; I could have just missed Iraq references. But it does make me wonder.

Afterwards, I sat here at the computer. My home page has long been the BBC, and up came their headline. No surprise that it was about Iraq. Here is some of what the headline article reports:

- Six bomb attacks in Kirkuk killing at least 10 and wounding dozens.
- 40 corpses found in Balad and close to 30 in Baghdad.
- Two bombs hitting a Baghdad government convoy, killing seven.
- The Mutayibeen Coalition (Sunni) proclaiming an independent Islamic state covering Baghdad and several other provinces.
- The death of five US soldiers on Saturday.
- Attacks (some of them suicide) in Kirkuk injuring more than 70.

I do hope that someone with the necessary expertise will be charting the amount and prominence of US media coverage of Iraq between now and November 7.