.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JandP

Saturday, December 17, 2011

"New" translation of the Mass

Since the First Sunday of Advent, I have wanted to write about the new English translation of the Mass. Eventually I will do that, but so far I have not been able to do so with any reasonable brevity. I was ordained in 1964, just four months before we began to use English, and it was a wonderful joy to experience this very first fruit of the Second Vatican Council. Now, 47 years later, in the midst of a decades-long process of "restoration" of the "good old days," the English-speaking countries are forced to use this thoroughly clunky new translation. I for one simply cannot pray with it. More commentary later, but for now, here is a fine piece written by a Catholic in Toronto, Canada:

The new Order of Mass

Where is the Abba-God who loves us, walks with us, encourages us? How much does this new Mass reflect the Jesus of the Gospels? Is my relationship with the Divine supposed to be primarily one of a sinner and an all powerful (even if merciful) male Lord-God?  

If I counted right, using Eucharistic Prayer I, in this Mass the word "sin/sinner" is mentioned 16 times; my "fault" two times  and "grievous fault" once. I am asking to be delivered from damnation, and am not worthy "that the Lord should enter under my roof".  (During the whole liturgy, love of God is mentioned once and goodness of God twice.) In the about 60 minutes' long Mass I am being reminded twenty times of my sinfulness in one way or another; that is on the average about every three minutes (not spaced evenly).

My conclusion is that if--in our society-- anyone repeatedly kept diminishing another person, s/he could be charged with mental/emotional abuse.  I don't think I can risk to submit my grandchildren to such treatment from "my church".

MC Toronto