.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JandP

Monday, December 05, 2011

My number-one forward ever

Over the many years that I have sent -- almost daily -- articles on social justice and peace to my lists, I have occasionally marked one as a must-read.

This morning I read an article by Chris Hedges that I immediately sent out. In the subject line, I said that I consider it my number one must-read. And I said that very deliberately.

The article is titled: "Where Were You When They Crucified My Movement?" It is only two pages in length, but it says very clearly and succinctly what many of us have tried to communicate perhaps much less succinctly in the past.

Here is a quote from Hedges' opening paragraph:

"The Occupy movement is the force that will revitalize traditional Christianity in the United States or signal its moral, social and political irrelevance. The mainstream church, battered by declining numbers and a failure to defiantly condemn the crimes and cruelty of the corporate state, as well as a refusal to vigorously attack the charlatans of the Christian right, whose misuse of the Gospel to champion unfettered capitalism, bigotry and imperialism is heretical, has become a marginal force in the life of most Americans, especially the young."

Copy and paste this link in your browser:

http://bit.ly/tq56VC