.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JandP

Friday, May 11, 2007

About my skunk language

My recent reference to members of the Bush cabal as skunks would not, I think, sit well with the average Bible-reading Christian. For one thing, it seems to fly in the face of Jesus' challenge for us to love our enemy. But that same Jesus--it's in chapter 13 of Luke's gospel--called King Herod "that fox." I think one can simultaneously love and reach out to one's enemy and still call a fox a fox--or a skunk a skunk

In the meantime, there is an abundance of very strong language in the Bible that fits these past four years of the cabal's invasion, bombing (don't forget Fallujah) and occupation--and the ensuing 3,387 US troop deaths. I could sit here and type quotes literally all night, but here are just a few examples:

The prophet Isaiah (in chapter 3): "What do you mean by crushing my people, by grinding the face of the poor?"

The prophet Micah (in chapter 3): "Is it not for you to know justice...you who tear the skin from off my people, and their flesh from off their bones?"

The prophet Amos (in chapter 5): "I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies."

Jesus (in chapter 6 of Matthew's gospel): "You can't be enslaved to both God and wealth." (read "God and oil profits.")